Wednesday, May 13, 2009

I Want to Be Your Friend

Do you have a personal relationship with Jesus Christ? Many people shy away from this idea. In this week’s sermon, we will talk about what this relationship involves: how it is initiated, how it grows, and why some people are not interested in knowing Jesus Christ better.

Sermon
“I Want to Be Your Friend”

Scripture: John 15:9-17
This is my command: Love each other.”“As the Father has loved me, so have I loved you. Now remain in my love. If you obey my commands, you will remain in my love, just as I have obeyed my Father’s commands and remain in his love. I have told you this so that my joy may be in you and that your joy may be complete. My command is this: Love each other as I have loved you. Greater love has no one than this, that he lay down his life for his friends. You are my friends if you do what I command. I no longer call you servants, because a servant does not know his master’s business. Instead, I have called you friends, for everything that I learned from my Father I have made known to you. You did not choose me, but I chose you and appointed you to go and bear fruit – fruit that will last. Then the Father will give you whatever you ask in my name. This is my command: Love each other.”

Hymns
“Great Is Thy Faithfulness”
“Are You Able?”

Renewing Reflections
It is our prayer that Renewing Reflections will bless your life this coming week. This quote is taken from the sermon “Friend, You Are a Part of the Mission“ delivered on Christian Crusaders July 16, 2006.
The more we study the Bible, the more it becomes abundantly clear that God wants to have a strong personal relationship with us. . . . When the Holy Spirit helps us to understand the meaning of these words, we hear God saying, I want you for my friends. I have big plans for you. Together we are going to build an eternal kingdom, and you will have a major role in serving as my ambassadors.

Sermons on DVD
A new sermon series is available on DVD! Four powerful sermons on the Resurrection, which aired on the radio April 12, 19, 26, and May 3 have also been recorded for you to enjoy watching on DVD. Call or e-mail our office if you would like a copy of any or all of these DVDs, which are available for a suggested donation of $5.00 each.

On the Light Side
Church Bulletin Bloopers

  • The sermon this morning: “Jesus Walks on the Water.” The sermon tonight: “Searching for Jesus.”
  • Our youth basketball team is back in action Wednesday at 8 pm in the recreation hall. Come out and watch us kill Christ the King.
  • Ladies, don’t forget the rummage sale. It’s a chance to get rid of those things not worth keeping around the house. Bring your husbands.
  • The peacemaking meeting scheduled for today has been canceled due to a conflict.
  • Miss Charlene Mason sang “I will not pass this way again,” giving obvious pleasure to the congregation.
  • Next Thursday there will be tryouts for the choir. They need all the help they can get.

No comments:

Post a Comment