Friday, January 29, 2010

The Power of the Pulpit

The word of God, spoken from the pulpit, has great authority. We see that in the ministries of John the Baptist, Jesus, and the Old Testament prophet Jeremiah. In this week’s sermon, we will look at ways in which we can use our “pulpit” to express our Christian convictions to change our world.

Scripture: Jeremiah 1:4-10
The word of the Lord came to me, saying,
“Before I formed you in the womb I knew you,
before you were born I set you apart;
I appointed you as a prophet to the nations.”
“Ah, Sovereign Lord,” I said, “I do not know how to speak; I am only a child.”
But the Lord said to me, “Do not say, ‘I am only a child. You must go to everyone I send you to and say whatever I command you. Do not be afraid of them, for I am with you and will rescue you,” declares the Lord.
Then the Lord reached out his hand and touched my mouth and said to me, “Now I have put my words in your mouth. See, today, I appoint you over nations and kingdoms to uproot and tear down, to destroy and overthrow, to build and to plant.”

Hymns
“We Praise You, O God”
“Children of the Heavenly Father”

Renewing Reflections
It is our prayer that Renewing Reflections will be a blessing in your life this coming week. This quote is taken from the sermon “Moses – God's Word Is Our Authority“ delivered on Christian Crusaders February 4, 2001.
When God’s Law has brought us to this confession, it has done its work. . . . In our helpless condition we come to the cross of Christ. There we confess our sins and place our faith in Jesus who has died to take away our sins. Through faith in Him we are forgiven and restored into fellowship with God. . . . We have become new people and live out of love for Christ who has made us His forever. That’s why Jesus could say, “If you abide in my word, you are truly my disciples. Then you will know the truth, and the truth will set you free” (John 8:31, 32). The authoritative voice of the Gospel brings us out of bondage, and the authoritative voice of God’s Law always reminds us how much we need our Savior.

On ChristianCrusaders.org
Remember that if your church cancels services due to inclement winter weather, you don't have to miss out on the chance to worship. Tune into your local Christian Crusaders radio station instead, or log onto christiancrusaders.org to hear an uplifting Gospel message right from home. Tell others who might be snowbound about the opportunity to worship from home as well!

On the Light Side
A Sunday school teacher was discussing the Ten Commandments with her five- and six-year olds. After explaining the commandment to honor thy father and thy mother, she asked, “Is there a commandment that teaches us how to treat our brothers and sisters?”

Without missing a beat one little boy answered, “Thou shall not kill.”

No comments:

Post a Comment