Wednesday, July 28, 2010

Beware of Greed! It Can Destroy You!

We are taught to work hard all our lives to provide a good life for our family. Is this where we find our security? While Jesus does not speak against being a responsible citizen, he does warn us against covetousness and greed. In this week’s sermon we will talk about a security that continues even after our last breath has been drawn.

Scripture: Luke 12:13-21
Someone in the crowd said to him, “Teacher, tell my brother to divide the inheritance with me.”

Jesus replied, “Man, who appointed me a judge or an arbiter between you?” Then he said to them, “Watch out! Be on your guard against all kinds of greed: a man’s life does not consist in the abundance of his possessions.”

And he told them this parable: “The ground of a certain rich man produced a good crop. He thought to himself, ‘What shall I do? I have no place to store my crops.’

“Then he said, ‘This is what I’ll do. I will tear down my barns and build bigger ones, and there I will store all my grain and my goods. And I’ll say to myself, “You have plenty of good things laid up for many years. Take life easy; eat, drink and be merry.”’

“But God said to him, ‘You fool! This very night your life will be demanded from you. Then who will get what you have prepared for yourself?’

This is how it will be with anyone who stores up things for himself but is not rich toward God.”

Hymns
“He’s Got the Whole World”
“I’d Rather Have Jesus”

Renewing Reflections
It is our prayer that Renewing Reflections will be a blessing in your life this coming week. This quote is taken from the sermon What Can Money Give You? delivered on Christian Crusaders February 20, 2005 by Rev. Larsen:
Money is God’s gift, and it brings us many blessings. However, it can also become a curse. Money can easily become our god. It supposedly gives us a feeling of security, which is not a lasting security. Only a personal relationship with God, made possible through Jesus Christ our Lord, his suffering, death, and resurrection, can restore us into fellowship with our Heavenly Father. He will guide us in the use of our money so that it may be a blessing and not a curse.

Basic Biblical Truths
Scripture tells us how Jesus’ message of salvation, first told to the twelve disciples, was spread to thousands hungering to hear the Good News of the living Christ. Rev. Larsen encourages us to follow this biblical example to carry the same message to those who need to hear His life-changing story. If you would like to learn more, order “How Does Christ Build His Church,” volume five in Rev. Larsen’s DVD video sermon collection Basic Biblical Truths. This DVD is available by calling our office at 1-888-693-2484, or by visiting our Web site at www.christiancrusaders.org.

On the Light Side
A tea manufacturer wanted a new advertising gimmick, so the senior creative man at the advertising agency decided to see if he could persuade a popular evangelist to make a TV commercial. We’ll give you one hundred thousand pounds for a ten second commercial, the ad man told the evangelist. All you have to say is, “Give us this day our daily tea.”

I’m sorry,” replied the evangelist, “but I can’t do that.”

“Five hundred thousand,” offered the ad man.

“I’m afraid not,” said the evangelist solemnly.

“All right. One million pounds. And that’s our very last offer.” But still the evangelist refused.

On his way back, the disappointed ad man turned to his secretary and said: “It’s odd that the evangelist refused to do a commercial for tea. I wonder how much the bread people are giving him.”

No comments:

Post a Comment