Friday, May 10, 2013

I'll Be Praying for You

Jesus prayed for his disciples in his High Priestly Prayer. Two thousand years later, he is still praying for us, minute by minute, hour by hour. In this week’s sermon, we will learn what Jesus is asking for us, and what we should ask for others in prayer.


Scripture: John 17:20-26
“My prayer is not for them alone. I pray also for those who will believe in me through their message, that all of them may be one, Father, just as you are in me and I am in you. May they also be in us so that the world may believe that you have sent me. I have given them the glory that you gave me, that they may be one as we are one: I in them and you in me. May they be brought to complete unity to let the world know that you sent me and have loved them even as you have loved me.

“Father, I want those you have given me to be with me where I am, and to see my glory, the glory you have given me because you loved me before the creation of the world.

“Righteous Father, though the world does not know you, I know you, and they know that you have sent me. I have made you known to them, and will continue to make you known in order that the love you have for me may be in them and that I myself may be in them.”


Renewing Reflections
It is our prayer that Renewing Reflections will be a blessing in your life this coming week. This quote is taken from the sermon Persistent in Prayer delivered on Christian Crusaders October 21, 2001.

Any person, who has done a lot of praying during his or her lifetime, will agree that many mysteries surround our prayers. Satan doesn’t lose any time in tempting us to question the value of praying, since sometimes we do not get what we ask to receive. But our Heavenly Father has told us to pray, and today He says, “Be persistent in your prayer life. Continue to pray.” Your Heavenly Father is listening and will grant your prayer, if it is according to His will. Isn’t that reason enough to keep on praying?


Happy Mother's Day
As we grow older and more mature, we begin to better realize the sacrifices our mothers have made for us when we were children and as adults. A short verse in I Peter speaks volumes as we reflect on our mother’s love this Mother’s Day. In essence it says that love doesn’t make a mockery of our foolishness, immaturity, mistakes, bad decisions, or sin. Instead, love, without trying to hide the truth, gently puts issues to rest in the love and forgiveness of Christ.

We thank our mothers for letting go of the past and loving us through life using Peter’s words:

“Keep your love for one another at full strength,
because love covers a multitude of sins” (I Peter 4:8).


On the Light Side
An elderly gentleman passed his granddaughter’s room one night and overheard her repeating the alphabet in an oddly reverent way. “What on earth are you up to?” he asked.

“I’m saying my prayers,” explained the little girl. “But I can’t think of exactly the right words tonight, so I’m just saying all the letters. God will put them together for me, because he knows what I’m thinking.”

No comments:

Post a Comment