Thursday, July 9, 2009

Living With Guilt and Fear

Fighting sin is a daily battle, and we are never free from it. So what do we do with our guilt? In this week’s sermon we will talk about a person who dealt with his guilt in a very destructive manner and how his life could have been different if he had only taken it to Jesus.

Sermon
“Living With Guilt and Fear”

Scripture: Mark 6:14-29
King Herod heard about this, for Jesus' name had become well known. Some were saying, “John the Baptist has been raised from the dead, and that is why miraculous powers are at work in him.”
Others said, “He is Elijah.”
And still others claimed, “He is a prophet, like one of the prophets of long ago.”
But when Herod heard this, he said, “John, the man I beheaded, has been raised from the dead!”
For Herod himself had given orders to have John arrested, and he had him bound and put in prison. He did this because of Herodias, his brother Philip's wife, whom he had married. For John had been saying to Herod, “It is not lawful for you to have your brother's wife.” So Herodias nursed a grudge against John and wanted to kill him. But she was not able to, because Herod feared John and protected him, knowing him to be a righteous and holy man. When Herod heard John, he was greatly puzzled; yet he liked to listen to him.
Finally the opportune time came. On his birthday Herod gave a banquet for his high officials and military commanders and the leading men of Galilee. When the daughter of Herodias came in and danced, she pleased Herod and his dinner guests.
The king said to the girl, “Ask me for anything you want, and I'll give it to you.” And he promised her with an oath, “Whatever you ask I will give you, up to half my kingdom.”
She went out and said to her mother, “What shall I ask for?”
“The head of John the Baptist,” she answered.
At once the girl hurried in to the king with the request: “I want you to give me right now the head of John the Baptist on a platter.”
The king was greatly distressed, but because of his oaths and his dinner guests, he did not want to refuse her. So he immediately sent an executioner with orders to bring John's head. The man went, beheaded John in the prison, and brought back his head on a platter. He presented it to the girl, and she gave it to her mother. On hearing of this, John's disciples came and took his body and laid it in a tomb.

Renewing Reflections
It is our prayer that Renewing Reflections will be a blessing in your life this coming week. This quote is taken from the sermon “Do Not Be Afraid“ delivered on Christian Crusaders March 11, 2007.
This word from Jesus is a reminder of who is in control. He has said, “Do not fear, for I am with you; do not be dismayed, for I am your God. I will strengthen you and help you, I will uphold you with my righteous right hand” (Isaiah 41:10). We are so weak, but He is so strong. Sometimes we think that we do not need him, but eventually we learn differently. The more we can turn our lives over to the Lord Jesus, the more peace will reign in our souls. We are able because He is able.

About ChristianCrusaders.org
You can now watch Christian Crusaders on YouTube! Log on to the popular video-sharing site www.youtube.com, then type “Homer Larsen” in the search box to view videos of Rev. Larsen preaching on the Resurrection. After watching the sermons, you can rate them, leave comments, post them to your Facebook page, or send them to family and friends. (You can also access the videos from our homepage.)

On the Light Side
A man once wrote the following letter to the IRS: “I have been unable to sleep, knowing that I have cheated on my income taxes. I understated my taxable income, therefore, I am enclosing a check for $150 to your office with this letter. If I still can’t sleep, I will send some more.”

No comments:

Post a Comment