Thursday, July 30, 2009

Really Old Hymns: “God Is With Us” – Psalm 46

We love the old hymns. They can lift our spirits when we are down and give us a new perspective for life. This week we will talk about a really old hymn that has ministered to many souls over the centuries, and can minister to ours as well when life is beating us up.

Scripture: Psalm 46
God is our refuge and strength, a very present help in trouble. Therefore we will not fear, though the earth should change, though the mountains shake in the heart of the sea, though its waters roar and foam, though the mountains tremble with its tumult. (Selah)

There is a river whose streams make glad the city of God, the holy habitation of the Most High. God is in the midst of the city; it shall not be moved; God will help it when the morning dawns. The nations are in an uproar, the kingdoms totter; he utters his voice, the earth melts.

The Lord of hosts is with us;
the God of Jacob is our refuge. (Selah)

Come, behold the works of the Lord, see what desolations he has brought on the earth; He makes wars cease to the end of the earth; he breaks the bow, and shatters the spear, he burns the shields with fire.
“Be still, and know that I am God!
I am exalted among the nations,
I am exalted in the earth.”

The Lord of hosts is with us;
the God of Jacob is our refuge. (Selah)


Hymns
“O God, Our Help in Ages Past”
“This Is My Father’s World”
“A Mighty Fortress”

Renewing Reflections
It is our prayer that Renewing Reflections will be a blessing in your life this coming week. This quote is taken from the sermon “When Your World Stops“ delivered on Christian Crusaders November 21, 2004.
We hear Paul the Apostle say in the book of Romans, “What are we to say then about these things? If God is for us, who is against us? He who did not withhold his own Son, but gave him up for all of us, will he not also with him give us everything else?” Then he goes on to say, “I believe that nothing can separate us from the love of God in Jesus Christ.” He was willing to lay down his life for us. God was willing to say, “Go and rescue my people, I love them.” Surely you and I can count upon Him to hear our prayers and lift us up when our world gets stopped, just like when David’s world got stopped.

Summer Travels
If you're traveling this summer, consider taking along one of Christian Crusaders' outreach posters to put up at a hospital, nursing home, church, or business near your destination. Christian Crusaders is still looking for locations for these posters; you can help make sure more people have “HEARD THE WORD” about the program!

On the Light Side
  • Grandchildren are God’s way of compensating us for growing old. ~Mary
    H. Waldrip
  • Becoming a grandmother is wonderful. One moment you're just a mother. The next you are all-wise and prehistoric. ~Pam Brown
  • My grandkids believe I’m the oldest thing in the world. And after two or three hours with them, I believe it, too. ~Gene Perret
  • A grandmother pretends she doesn’t know who you are on Halloween.
  • Grandma always made you feel she had been waiting to see just you all day, and now the day was complete. ~Marcy DeMaree
  • I want to die in my sleep like my grandfather – not screaming and yelling like the passengers in his car. ~Wil Shriner

1 comment:

  1. Thank you for your obvious love of the old hymns of the faith. They do seem to ring an answering chime in the hearts of many. It's like, "That's exactly how I feel." Or, "That's exactly what I'd day, if I had the skills of a poet."

    I encourage you to drop by my blog site, Wordwise Hymns. It will tell you something that happened concerning our great hymns on that particular date. A new post each day.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete