Friday, April 27, 2012

One Flock and One Shepherd

What is the purpose of the Church? Do you suppose that, with all the pain and terrible events in our world today, life would be much better if the Church clearly understood its purpose? This week we will hear Christ describe his Church and its role as his undershepherd to the world.


Scripture: John 10:11-18
“I am the good shepherd. The good shepherd lays down his life for the sheep. The hired hand is not the shepherd who owns the sheep. So when he sees the wolf coming, he abandons the sheep and runs away. Then the wolf attacks the flock and scatters it. The man runs away because he is a hired hand and cares nothing for the sheep.

“I am the good shepherd; I know my sheep and my sheep know me – just as the Father knows me and I know the Father – and I lay down my life for the sheep. I have other sheep that are not of this sheep pen. I must bring them also. They too will listen to my voice, and there shall be one flock and one shepherd. The reason my Father loves me is that I lay down my life – only to take it up again. No one takes it from me, but I lay it down of my own accord. I have authority to lay it down and authority to take it up again. This command I received from my Father.”


Renewing Reflections
It is our prayer that Renewing Reflections will be a blessing in your life this coming week. This quote is taken from the sermon The Hand That Holds Me delivered on Christian Crusaders April 29, 2007:
 
Sheep spend the summer in the high country. On their way back to the shepherd’s fold, they eagerly anticipate their homecoming, although they have to go through difficult terrain and storms that make them cold and wet. You can sense in the flock an excitement and enthusiasm as they come nearer and nearer to the shepherd’s fold. The same goes for Christians in the flock of Jesus Christ who know that we will dwell forever in the house of the Lord.
 
 
About Christian Crusaders.org
People are more likely to tune into a Christian radio program if it is suggested by a friend or relative. Perhaps you have an aunt in Phoenix, a granddaughter in Minneapolis, or a cousin in Portland who might enjoy listening to Christian Crusaders on their local radio station. A complete list where Christian Crusaders broadcasts its program is found on our Radio Station Listing page of ChristianCrusaders.org. Follow the link to find a station near you or someone you know, and suggest they listen.
 
 
On the Light Side
Two guys are walking through the woods and come across a big, deep hole. “Wow! That looks deep,” one of them says.

“Sure does. Toss a few pebbles in there and see how deep it is,” says the other one. So they pick up a few pebbles, throw them in and wait. . . No noise.

“Wow. That is really deep!” the first guy says. “Here, let’s throw one of these great big rocks down there. That should make a noise.” So they pick up a couple football-sized rocks and toss them into the hole. . . And wait. . . And wait. Nothing.

The two guys look at each other in amazement. One gets a determined look on his face and says, “Hey, over there in the weeds, there’s a railroad tie. Help me carry it over here. When we toss that in, it’s got to make some noise!” So the two men drag the heavy tie over to the hole and heave it in. Not a sound comes from the hole.

Suddenly, out of the nearby woods, a sheep appears, running like the wind. It rushes toward the two men, then right past them as fast as its legs will carry it. Suddenly it leaps in the air and into the hole. The two men are astonished with what they’ve just seen.

Then out of the woods comes a farmer who spots the men and ambles over. “Hey, have you two guys seen my sheep out here?”

“You bet we did!” they reply. “Craziest thing we’ve ever seen! It came running like crazy and just jumped into this hole!”

“Nah,” says the farmer. “That couldn’t have been my sheep. My sheep was chained to a railroad tie.”

No comments:

Post a Comment